Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Adventures of Maternity Leave

Adam may have gone back to work weeks ago, but we've managed to pack a lot of fun family activities into my maternity leave. Mya has been a complete trooper through all of these adventures, even when most people believed we were crazy for taking her with us. To start we went to Michigan's Adventure for the day. Mason is 36 1/2 inches, so just tall enough to go on a bunch of rides with us, and some by himself. The day had its ups and downs, but overall it was a fun trip. On the rides that go in circles, he spent most of his time on them looking at the center. "How's it work mama, how?" Maybe we have a little engineer on our hands?



We also took the family over to the Calhoun County Fair. More rides for Mason to enjoy, and more time for Mya to sit in her car seat. Mason's favorite ride at the fair was the train of course. We did walk through the animal barns too, thumbs up on the horses, bunnies, goats and sheep; thumbs down on the cows and pigs. He especially did not care for the hog that was being bathed and sounded more like he was being slaughtered. But another trip on the train and he was happy again.



We've also been able to spend a couple weekends at the lake. Mason just loves splashing in the water with daddy and papa. I love relaxing on the pier or the swing with Mya.



Speaking of Mya, we bundled her up in what must be the most uncomfortable life vest invented and took her on her very first boat ride. Like Mason did when he was little, the rocking motion put her right to sleep. Unlike Mason, Mya isn't a fan of going fast on papa's new boat. I think the wind in her hair startles her awake, but once we slow back down she falls right back to sleep.



It's been so much fun that I'm really glad we unintentionally timed out Mya's arrival with a summer break. I never thought I'd feel like a college kid returning to campus in the fall again, but I'll find myself in just that position in less than two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin and Adam, I am so happy to hear your maternity leave was more than just bonding with new baby Mya, but also being able to connect as a family! One of these days I am confident we will meet up :) Love, Melanie

    ReplyDelete