Monday, February 17, 2014

Just Another Day Off

Today was a scheduled day off of school, in honor of President's Day.  I spent much of the morning grumbling about the fact that maybe they should cancel the day off in order to make up for the 9.5 days Mason's school has been closed due to weather.  I'm sure they couldn't do this for contractual reasons, but I have a feeling everyone (teachers/parents/kids) would rather have been in school today than making up one of these snow days in June. 

But I digress...

So I was complaining about Mason not having school on a holiday like today.  After all, wouldn't it be better to be in school and actually learn something about our presidents?  Instead we shipped Mason off to daycare assuming he'd learn nothing about American history.

I couldn't have been more wrong.  I have a feeling he had more fun learning about President's Day at daycare today than he would have at school.  He brought home all sorts of projects.  An Abe Lincoln top hat with beard (happily modeled by Mya), an American flag (unhappily modeled by Mason), a Lincoln log cabin and a George Washington silhouette with cotton balls for a wig. 

While I'm still kind of frustrated the school's day off wasn't canceled, I couldn't be more happy with the "education" Mason received at daycare.  Looking out the window now at the copious amounts of snow falling, I'm thinking we might end up with yet another snow day tomorrow.  Maybe he'll still learn a thing or two, even if it isn't at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment