I was on such a good streak with posting, then all of a sudden it came to a stop. You could blame it on the cold and boring winter, but you know I've always got something to say about my kiddos. No, that's not it at all - the reason I haven't been posting recently is that I haven't wanted to address the elephant in the room.
It's been a strange few months since my last post. Life was suddenly flipped upside down when we found out Adam needed surgery on his hip (scheduled finally for next week). He's been unable to work during this whole time, and it's taken some getting used to.
The kids have had to get used to not wrestling around with their daddy - after dinner tickle time was always one of their favorite things. But other than that, it's hopefully been transparent to them. In fact they've probably really enjoyed Adam being here in the evenings and awake on the weekends.
Adam and I are the ones who have had to adjust the most. I almost feel bad saying that I've had to take on different roles around the house, doing things that Adam's always done. I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining when I say that shoveling and yard work have been added to my honey-do list. After all, Adam's the one in pain.
And it's not just the pain that has been hard for him. It's the adjusting to letting me do things for him that he feels like he should be able to do for himself that's probably been the most difficult. I have to remind him that I don't mind. You know this is the "in sickness and in health" part of marriage that we signed up for. The next few months of healing for Adam and extra work for me aren't going to be easy, but we will get through it. And I have a feeling we will come out stronger because of it.
****
Now for a few kiddo nuggets I've been wanting to share. This picture is my new favorite of the kids. Now you know this is not their usual demeanor when they're this close together. Normally they'd be arguing or shoving each other away from one another. We had one perfect moment, thankfully I was able to catch it, where they were just snuggled up together. Melt my heart.
A few weeks after this they were sitting next to each other at the kitchen counter and Mya nonchalantly asked Mason if he'd be her best friend. I held my breath and stared at Mason, waiting for his answer. It seemed to take forever but he finally said "yeah, sure" just as casually as she'd asked.
Before we knew it, they were off doing their own things again. These two moments were just that - a fleeting few seconds. But they're moments to cherish, and we certainly do.

Sending all of you my love and best wishes for Adam's surgery to be smooth and successful -- and for recovery to be quick and as pain-free as possible. Good luck to all of you and it will be helpful that Mason will be Mya's best friend! That photo of the kids is precious and so heartwarming! - Hugs, Kriss
ReplyDelete