"When one became two, well the two of us knew that whatever will be's gonna be. And what was to be was that two became three. It's beginning to look like a family. I still remember that day in September when I heard that three would be four..." - The Verve Pipe
Monday, February 15, 2016
Brotherly/Sisterly Love
With Valentine's Day being yesterday, I have love on my mind. Of course the love between Adam and I, but also that between siblings. You know I once heard this commentary on siblings that seemed so shocking at the time - your siblings will be the people you know the longest in life. Sit back and think about that for a minute. During a "normal" life, you'll probably have your parents somewhere between 50-60 years. Same for your kids, your spouse, and maybe a few really good friends. But your siblings will be in your life for almost the whole thing - 70-80 years probably (if not longer).
When I thought about that, it really made me appreciate my own sister and brother in a way I probably hadn't before. Truthfully, it made me feel closer to them, even if nothing actually changed about our relationships. When you're growing up, you often love your siblings out of obligation. Realizing we have each other for the long haul made me thankful that I actually enjoy being around my siblings. Thankful that I actually love them, and not just because I have to. I know not everyone can say that about their siblings.
I've spent a lot of time on this blog talking about how Mason and Mya differ on just about everything. From eating to sleeping to waking up - they're basically opposites. They also play differently. Mason, being more left-brained, prefers to play on his own and with his own rules. Seriously, Adam and I can't even play Legos with him because we do it wrong. Mya, being more right-brained, likes to create things and wants to be with us all the time. You can imagine what happens when we try to mix their personalities together for playtime. It typically doesn't go well.
Yet every once in a while we find them playing together in a totally unexpected way. Actually enjoying being around each other, doing whatever they're doing together. I caught them together on the couch the other night doing just this. Sure I line them up to take pictures together all the time, but it's rare (maybe once a year or so) when I can actually catch them happily playing together. These rare moments make me think about how they'll always have each other. And once they're old enough to realize it, I think they'll love each other too (and not just because they have to).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment