When I was a kid I spent many a weekend morning begging my dad to make pancakes. Once a week he'd get out his bowl and antique hand mixer and whip up a batch. There's nothing like the sound of one of those mixers. If you were asleep, you'd wake to the sound of it and know something good would soon find it's way in your tummy.
Of course us kids would put in our requests for different shaped pancakes. And my dad, being artistically inclined, had no problem obliging. I'm sure I had a favorite design, though I can't remember what it would have been now. This is because at some point, I decided I didn't like pancakes anymore.
I probably went 15 or so years without eating pancakes.
And then I had kids.
Now, anyone who knows me knows I barely do anything in the kitchen. My wonderful former-cook husband makes EVERYTHING for us. But I decided this was the one thing I could do for our kids. And then all the memories of my dad and his pancakes came rushing back. Suddenly I knew this was something I had to do.
I don't have an antique mixer, but my pancakes aren't my dad's either. I take a lot of help from premade mix, but to make these mine I add a container of baby food squash to the mix. I once read somewhere you could do this to squeeze in an extra serving of veggies for your kids. Then, instead of syrup, I put sprinkles on the kids pancakes and usually add some fresh-grated nutmeg to the adult versions.
As for what shapes the kids like best. Well you guessed it for Mason, it's trains. Not just any trains but Thomas (3 wheels, on top) and Percy (two wheels, on the bottom). And of course they ride on bacon tracks. Mya doesn't have a favorite shape yet, but I'm sure she'll be asking for something specific soon.
I know there's a chance that after a few more years, my kids will become sick of pancake Saturdays just like I did. But until then, I'll relive the memories of my childhood each weekend and hope I'm making some for my kids.
As you've proved, Erin rituals are important in kid's lives and quickly become pleasant memories. Enjoy.
ReplyDelete