Saturday, November 23, 2013

Where she gets her good looks

For those that have a mini-me, I envy you.  Shortly after Mason was born, it was evident that he was his daddy's son.  Everyone that meets Mason says, "He looks just like his daddy!"  With him, I didn't feel nearly so slighted - I'd rather have our boy look like the male half of his parents. 

When Mya was born, I thought sure she's got the darker skin, dark eyes and dark hair that Adam does, but maybe, maybe, she will actually look like a brunette version of me.  I held out hope for years that, even with the darker coloring, she might ultimately look like me.  I searched for a resemblence time and again.  Her face is rounder, she must be like me.  We were both fat babies, she must be like me.  She's got curly hair - it must come from my dad's side of the family, so in turn, she must be like me.  When her hair lightened this summer, I thought yes, this is it! She's going to look like me!!!

Until one day I was musing about Mya's curly hair to my mother-in-law.  "Oh, she gets that curly hair from me!" she said.  A few days later she produced the photo evidence that Mya is not like me after all.  She is a mini-me of her Nana.  Change the hair color from blond to brown and you've got the same little toddler separated by a few years.  And in turn, when you compare this profile picture of Adam and his mom, you will see that Adam looks just like his mom, and so Mya looks just like her dad who looks just like his mom.  She is her daddy's girl just as Mason is his daddy's boy.


It doesn't make me feel any less their mother - I did carry them for 9 months - yet something in me wishes they looked just a little bit like me.  Maybe there's still hope since I didn't think I looked like my mom until my 20's.  Until then, I will be [not-so-]secretly envious each time someone exclaims how much they look like their daddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment