Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day!

We're all sick of this election cycle, so why am I writing about it?  Because this is the first presidential election in which my kids are truly old enough to understand what voting is all about. There's been a lot to explain to these little people, and a lot we've omitted. They've picked up misinformation along the way (no, the president doesn't rule the planet) and we've done our best to be fair and unbiased when talking about the candidates in front of them. (This is harder than it looks!)

One evening the kids and I were talking about the candidates and I explained this was the first time a woman is a major party nominee. No, I didn't use those exact words - I was talking to kids afterall. Mason decided he wanted to vote for the man and Mya wanted to vote for the woman. I have a feeling they thought the other candidate had cooties. That was a teaching moment - that it's important to find out how the person wants to help our country, not just whether the person is a man or woman.

Though looking in my daughters eyes, the magnitude of a woman being a major party candidate is not lost on me. I didn't realize what a big deal it was when Sarah Palin was on the Republican ticket eight years ago. Two kids later, I get it now. When I've seen pictures of Susan B. Anthony's grave stone covered in "I voted" stickers this year, I've admittedly gotten a little misty-eyed. It is extraordinary to think that there was a time when women couldn't even vote, let alone run for president or vice president. My children, my daughter, will likely look back on this fact with complete amazement when they're old enough to understand. They are growing up truly believing that all people (men and women) are created equal.

That said, this election has been tiresome. It's been difficult to separate the platforms from the people promoting them, but like most parents this time around, I think we cast our vote with their futures in mind. They deserve nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment