Every year I send out our Christmas cards with the website for this blog, and immediately feel bad that I haven't written anything new in a month or so. This year is no exception. It's also this time of year I start feeling the pressure to make Christmas perfect. Pinterest and other social media have a tendency to make me (and others I'm sure) feel like we're not living up to perfection. This goes for life in general, not just the holidays. So I thought what better thing to write about than things not going quite right as far as Christmas prep is concerned.
One thing I always like to have done by Thanksgiving weekend is our Christmas cards. It's just easier to have them ready to go so that I'm not scrambling to do that on top of everything else. I had such grand ideas for our photo cards this year, but of course the weather did not cooperate when I finally had time to take the pictures. My camera is not the best at indoor pictures, so most came out too blurry to use. If they weren't blurry, the kids were most likely rolling their eyes or snarling or slouching. As infuriating as it was at the time, looking back at them I realize how much these imperfect pictures are a perfect representation of our kids as they are at this moment. Messy and not quite in sync, but still the two little loves of our lives.
I'm sure by now you've noticed I'm a tad bit OCD. You shouldn't be surprised to hear that transfers over to decorating the Christmas tree. This goes back decades now, back to when I was a teenager decorating my parents' tree. Have I told this story before? It never gets old, so I'll just continue. I apparently did not like the way my younger siblings added ornaments to the tree and wanted nothing to do with their ornament placement. So one year I decided that the tree should be split up into sections so that there would be no confusion over who decorated the tree well and who didn't. I took string and literally sectioned off the tree. I have not lived this moment down.
Older and wiser now, I can openly admit to these oddities. When I pulled out the boxes of ornaments, I warned the kids that I may have to rearrange their pieces just a little bit. And of course I did, but I did try to keep things in the same general area as their original placement. Wouldn't you know it, Mya added most of her ornaments on one side and Mason on the other. I don't know if they have a little of my OCD in them (okay, I know Mya does) or if it was just easier for them to do that. Either way, they seemed to section off the tree much like I tried to as a kid.
Those are all the little snafus I have for you so far, but the season is young. We haven't even gotten to the baking yet!

No comments:
Post a Comment