Okay, we are "those" people. Mason is 16 months old, and until a few weeks ago he was sleeping in our bed. I can't explain how it came to be that way - it must have been shortly after I went back to work, while Adam was working the night shift, that I gave in a few nights in a row and brought him back to bed with me. Then it just stuck.
We tried several times to put him back in his crib, but always found excuses - he's got a cold, I'm soooo tired, he doesn't even sleep through the night in our bed so how's he going to do it in his, etc. Well two weeks ago we decided not to be those people anymore - to be committed to the crib and just let the kid cry.
And EUREKA! It actually worked! Yes, he cried for a few minutes when we'd first put him down. And yes, he'd whimper in the night when he couldn't find his pacifier. But he actually stayed in his crib for 8-10 hours with not a lot of fuss and slept until at least 7 AM. We were so happy, and for the first time in over a year and a half I actually got a full night's sleep.
All was going well - until this week. Mason is again waking up in the middle of the night (at first around 4 AM, and now between 1 and 2 AM) and cries and cries and cries and will not fall back to sleep. We just don't know what to do with him.
Sometimes he throws everything from the crib onto the floor (pacifiers, blanket, Gary the gorilla, Spunky the monkey). Tuesday night he did this, and must have realized he wanted those things back so found a way to catapult himself out of the crib. I heard a loud thud and went running to his room - there he was on the floor with his animals and pacifiers! (Don't worry, he wasn't injured, just surprised.) Needless to say we've since lowered the mattress as far as it will go, but he's still trying to get out - just falling back into the crib now instead of out of it.
We're running out of ideas (and sanity). Tonight we're going to try no nightlight - maybe the shadows are scaring him? If that doesn't work we're thinking of buying one of those crib glow and sing toys to try to soothe him. There's no advice we won't try at this point.
I know this is crazy and heck what do I know! I have no kids but maybe 5 furry animals. Anyway i was thinking maybe he likes the sense of security when he is in your bed. You might want to try giving him a piece of clothing, robe, blanket or something that he use to have that reminds him of your bed so he thinks you guys are there at night! Just a thought! But like I said with no kids I am not good at advice.
ReplyDeleteThe best advice I've ever been given- "This too shall pass".... When it's all said and done, Mason will be grown up and you will have the best memories of these days :) Enjoy them! I know it's helped Tim and I through many nights the last 4 months. Your story made me smile too- what a creative little one you have! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! It actually has gotten better - we think his teeth were just really bothering him there for a while - 2 molars at once, poor little guy!
ReplyDelete